Tuesday, May 6, 2014

How drones can be good or bad for our society


Drones: how drones can be good or bad for our society


 

Narrative, part 3: the time I created my own kind of drone

 


            Just about every young boy out there enjoys playing with a remote controlled toy, such as a car, boat or plane.  I can remember going to my friends house and play with their remote controlled cars; unfortunately my friend would only have one for him and his brother.  As a result of the one less car, some play dates would end up in a fight, and my friends parents' would have to come out and resolve the problem. I really enjoyed controlling just about anything that required a remote, maybe even the TV a little too much, but that's another story. The time I created my own kind of drone, sort of, was a very exciting moment for me and when I watched some very incredible videos, only capable with a drone.

            About 3 or 4 years ago, I received a white elephant gift rather large, from my aunt, on Christmas.  My aunt isn't really the person to give such a gift to me; she usually takes my sisters and I out to plays, like the lion king and wicked. This year my aunt just took my family and cousins out to play bocce ball and have white elephant gifts to give out back at her place.  I successfully obtained the largest white elephant gift and opened it.  What I found in the wrapping had to have been a dream come true.  In the wrapping was a large remote controlled helicopter. I could not possibly wait for the snow to be gone and fly the helicopter all over the place. After a couple months of torture stuck inside with my helicopter out of the box, ready to fly, and may have collected some dust, I grabbed my helicopter and ran some test flights in my backyard. I did not realize how difficult it was to control a helicopter, but after an hour or so, I began to get the hang of it.  On my last test flight, I thought to myself and said, "I wonder if my helicopter can shoot some nice videos with my cellphone".  I grabbed my phone and attached it to the helicopter, just between the legs of the landing gear. After my first flight with the phone attachment, I replayed the video and watched a very cool video of a birds eye view of my backyard.  I was very amazed at how such a toy could become more than just a toy.  The day I flew the helicopter, with my phone, will be a day I never forget.

            During the research of my topic on drones, I stumbled upon some very fascinating videos from the works of a drone. The videos really caught my attention because it was footage that would be incredibly difficult for any ordinary video shoot. The video on YouTube is very neat because the shots created are in ice caves. Pretty dangerous wouldn't you say so? The cost of conventional aerial shots for videos are very expensive because not only are you sending up a camera in the sky, but you have to pay the person taking the video and something, such as a helicopter to take them (up in the air). The cost of gas will only go up due to its limited availability and electricity is much cheaper compared to gas.  The other video I watched would only have been capable with the use of a drone because the drone was able to fly almost entirely next to a firework igniting (Gasper). The possibilities are endless now that drones and cameras are improving technologically.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu2bGBcWHvE
             
           Just about every young boy out there enjoys playing with a remote controlled toy, such as a car, boat or plane. My all-time favorite remote controlled toy as for me was my helicopter. Unfortunately the helicopter broke within a year due to my stubbornness to read the instructions.  I am very interested in maybe one day creating my own video with a real drone, so I may capture incredible footage too.    

 

 

 

Works Cited

 

"Up In The Air Achieving Inexpensive Aerial Shots In Your Film." Cheap Filmmaking. N.p., 30 Nov. 2012. Web. 24 Apr. 2014.

 

 Gasper. "DJI PHANTOM FIREWORKS." Vimeo. N.p., 21 Apr. 2014. Web. 24 Apr. 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment